Sunday, October 22, 2006

All's Well that Ends Well

Happy Ending to my quest to get books on Cowboy Action Shooting into Fort Bend County Libraries:


-----Original Message-----
From: AskALibrarian
Sent: Fri, September 22, 2006 8:28 AM
To: (AggieLibrarian)
Subject: Library Question - Answer [Question #XXXXXX]

Dear Mr. (Aggie Librarian)
Thank you for your suggestions.
I have found a book on the subject in which you are interested that is available through our vendors. The book is "Cowboy Action Shooting," by Hunter Scott Anderson. I will place this title on our next order list.
We appreciate your input as the library system is always interested in patron recommendations. If you have further questions, you may e-mail me, or you may telephone the Reference desk at 281-XXX-XXXX.
I hope this information is helpful.

(another Helpful Librarian)
Fort Bend County Libraries
somebody[at]fortbend.lib.tx.us

-----------------------
Question History:
Patron: -----Original Message-----
From: Aggie Librarian
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 1:30 PM
To: (original librarian)
Subject: RE2: Cowboy action shooting
Importance: Low

Are there any books on this particular SUBJECT available from your vendors?

The Aggie Librarian, MA, MLS
Alumnus, 200X
School of Library & Information Sciences
University of North Texas
Personal Email: TheAggieLibrarian[at]myisp.com
Resume/CV Page: http://people.unt.edu/.... (snip)

(sometimes doesn't hurt to show a little Library cred...)

The upshot was, I was persistent without going all Saklad on their *sses. ;-) An equitable solution was reached, and the library found books at least on the subject I wanted, if not the specific book I was after. I'm sometimes pretty hit or miss with Public Libraries and my suggestions...sometimes the things I request are declined because they're too advanced, e.g. better suited for an academic library. Sometimes the sources are too old, reportedly, even though I think the topic is timeless and the book in question is still the best book out there dealing with the subject matter. Anyway, I guess the lesson here is, if the library's vendor can't get you the specific book you want, but you'd be satisfied with ANYTHING else on the topic, it doesn't hurt to ask. They just might come through for you, like they did with me.

No comments: