Monday, June 01, 2009

North Texas 23: Thing 10, attempt Two (Ning)

Ok, so I went ahead and took the plunge. Here's my Ning profile. Still not finding any explicitly library-related or librarian created groups out there. The suggestions were pretty off the wall; I finally joined the generic group "Geeks!", but once I joined it, I could not figure out how to Navigate back from "Geeks!" to what I term "Ning central". That is User-Friendliness FAIL, folks.

I am seeing now that Ning is like a Meta-Social-Networking tool, a Network of Social Networks, each an independent little Fiefdom all its own, customized by their creators, etc.

Ning is not for newbies or sissies; seems aimed at web-savvy geeks who already know what they're doing. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, if anything, but I am not finding ANY library-related Ning groupings out there, not a single one. If ALA has a Ning presence, someone let me know, o.k.?

Some of the groups are pretty broad, like "Geeks!", but others seem incredibly narrowly focused, too.

Initial impression post sign-up: Me no likey Ning.

No comments: