Thursday, January 19, 2023

Deprofessionalization STILL SUCKS

 So subsequent to and concurrent with my petition to have my position upgraded formally to that of Librarian I, I have since encountered job postings for Interlibrary Loan managerial type positions in two separate Academic Libraries, one in Texas, one out of state, and both positions list the educational requirement as Bachelor's Degree, and decidedly NOT an American Library Association accredited Master of Library Science (or Information Science, what have you).

This is very depressing because I feel like this kind of work requires a myriad set of skills that one does indeed sometimes pick up in Library School, especially cataloging courses and database design.  You can learn to ILL on the job, for sure, but Library School is an actual help here.

If you are in charge of an entire Document Delivery Unit or Interlibrary Loan staff then you should be a Librarian I.  Period.  It's clearly a managerial role if you have underlings, and regardless it is a very demanding and multifaceted job that deserves compensation on par with other Librarian professionals.

I deplore and lament the merciless march of deprofessionalization according to neoliberal economic logic that eats away at the heart of our profession like a corrosive acid.

We deserve fair pay not hyper-explotation.

No comments: