Wednesday, May 09, 2007

rejection letter(s)...

Well, shit...a good library job and Texas just don't seem to be in the cards. My rejection letter from UH arrived today, dated 3 May 2007, for the Modern & Classical Languages position. They regretfully inform I am no longer under "active consideration".
Just goes to show you...it's like a Murphy's Law of Library Science....any position you sound PERFECT for you will always be rejected in the first round.

Weird-ass positions you apply for on a lark, you'll at least wrangle a phone interview out of.
I give up trying to make any sense of it. It makes me a little sick to my stomach, because it means so much more is riding on USC now.

(I don't seriously think I have even a prayer when it comes to the Oregon-based "Slavic Cataloger" job I applied for a few weeks ago--I knew that was a longshot going in)
Anyway, I'm biding time until my counseling session tonight listening to James Taylor sing "Going to Carolina in My Mind" on YouTube, which is some comfort.

Just keep rolling with the punches...it it comes, it was meant to be...if it don't, it weren't.
Our medical director up and quit while I was off in SC, and I've been approached by the new director to help manage the transition to the new database at work.

It would've been better to have involved staff much much earlier in this thing, but better late than never I guess. I gave my honest opinions on how things stand with the new DB and pointed out some of the material things we need to do our jobs better---heavier duty fax machines and more than just one going to the same line, etc.
There are actual "authority control" and "controlled vocabulary" problems to tackle, too.
So, whatever, y'know?

I'll always be "the Librarian" in any organization, no matter what my official job-title says. It's too much in my blood now not to be. It's part and parcel of who I am, for better or worse.

No comments: