Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Irony Redux

Once more: (this time from OCLC WorldCat)

The myth of the paperless office

Language: English Type: Book
Publisher: Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, ©2002. | Other Editions ...
ISBN: 0262194643 9780262194648 | OCLC: 46872316 | Cite this Item
=========================================================

...I bring this book up because one of my new bosses (i.e. the new Medical Director) is pushing the Paperless Office concept again, much to the consternation of just about everyone. This on top of the crappy new Database I griped about earlier. I sent this off via email to some trusted colleagues at work as "recommended reading, of possible interest..."; hopefully as an antidote to the madness. Just acting as the friendly, neighborhood wanna-be company/corporate librarian, don't you know...*whistles innocently* (actually I don't want to be a corporate/special Librarian, but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish)

Incidentally, according to WorldCat, the two closest libraries where this book is available in tangible form is good ol' Fondren Library over at Rice University (where I have limited borrowing privileges) and the MD Anderson Library at the University of Houston (where I don't, so it'd be "library use only"; Fondren is just barely affordable, but UH charges an arm & a leg to their "Library Friends" who also want borrowing privileges--or at least last time I checked they did). None of the public libraries that are convenient for me to use---Fort Bend (below) nor Houston Public, have it in hard copy, only digital.

Y'know what this says to me?

"LET THEM EAT PIXELS!"

This is a scholarly book with lengthy, discursive prose, not a reference book you'd consult for short excerpted bits of information; It's an exceedingly poor candidate for an E-book.

You note that the two serious research universities have this book in hard copy, and for good reason. Serious scholars wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: