Friday, May 22, 2009

Jingle-jangle jingle, and following other blogs.

I just added some other folk's blogs that I am now officially "following", i.e. read regularly. Some are LIS-related, others not. I don't know if ya'll can see them on the public side or not, or just me, on my "dashboard". Still trying to figure this stuff out, bear with me.

I also had to give a brief oral presentation on what I saw & did at TLA 2009, on behalf of the assembled library staff. I was really nervous and waited until I was the last one; I think I managed to pull off an acceptable oral presentation, despite not having as many (read: any) visual aids, unlike my reference colleagues.

I did learn about a neat new software application called "Jing", which is quick and easy screen capture program that can be downloaded here. It's pretty darn cool, and I can already think of how I can use it as a cataloger, either to come up with a tutorial on how to do database cleanup, especially fixing holdings data, or a way to ask complicated questions about the LC tables in Classification Web which confuse the heck out of me. So many times I'll come up with a potential call number for an item and then hit a funky table in ClassWeb that I really don't know how to cope with, and no one I can readily turn to here and ask about. Now I can screen capture that, send it to some experienced catalogers I know at other institutions, or to AUTOCAT at large, and get a response. Sometimes it's just easier to show rather than explain in writing, y'know? You can also upload these screen capture videos to YouTube, and narrate them, which is cool. I may also get a webcam for my work PC so that I can show elder catalogers the book in hand that I am considering and they can see why I am considering the call number in question, etc. Not a perfect solution, but something I think is worth giving a go, especially as I'm still learning the cataloging ropes myself. If/when RDA ever rolls out, I will probably need the help of others bigtime then as well.

With enough knowledge and experience, one day I'll be able to "give back" to the community in turn.

No comments: