Tuesday, July 28, 2009

NT23: Thing 16: LT, part 2

Ok, found the upper limit for Library Thing; freebie members are limited to 200 books. If you want to add beyond that to your personal profile, you have to pay for it. So rather limited compared to Amazon.com in that respect. LT pulls their info from LoC and Amazon, after all. It costs them money, so naturally they have to have a subscription model to absorb beyond 200+ items, to pull paying members in, because once you start adding books you find it hard to stop.

The site is a little buggy at times, especially shuffling books between collections, etc. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, even after repeated attempts.

I next went to join groups of possible interest, though as yet I have not encountered an upper limit on those, but I suspect it also probably exists on Freebie accounts.

It does seem like it would be a valuable tool for reference librarians, acquisitions and collection development librarians...again more so than someone in Cataloging like me.

I have my Freebie account and will have to mull over if I think it is worth my upgrading to a paid account; Will it really enhance my professional skills enough to justify the investment? Hard to say.

I won't be upgrading anytime soon, though I'll consider it again maybe come Fall semester.

No comments: