Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Thing 12, Twitter

So I signed up for Twitter and started "Following" a few people. A bit later on, some people started "following" me. I don't Tweet much, or very often. Neither do they, though sometimes I get an annoying flurry of email alerts from Twitter, but mostly not.
My user name over there is Aggiememenon. Twitter seems like Facebook for people with chronically short attention spans. It's like the ADHD sufferer's social network tool.

As if said before in the past, it might serve limited useful purposes in limited contexts, like live-blogging an event in real time, or using it to communicate at an event where simply calling the person would be a breach of etiquette (such as both of you attending separate sessions at an academic conference, yet needing to relay important information to each other in a quick burst of text).

But day to day, I just can't be bothered to fool with Twitter much. I don't even log into Facebook nearly as much as I used to, and only once in a blue moon will you catch me online at MySpace. I've been adding more stuff to my YouTube channel lately, mainly unused NJROTC footage that I can add new music audio tracks to, and that sort of thing. I don't even bother to upload the unedited footage to Facebook, since it's utterly boring without the music soundtrack.

I've also been having fun with the animation site Xtranormal.com and finally broke down and bought a premium account, so that I can create more diverse animations, which I also upload to YouTube as well as the Xtranormal site itself, where these animations are "born". I could see a library doing an Xtranormal video animation explaining library services, for example. You can sign up to have your Xtranormal animatons "tweeted" on Twitter (and YouTube allows the same thing), but I don't bother. I don't have enough "followers" to care.

To those who "get" Twitter and use it effectively, my hat's off to you. I suppose a library could sent out "Tweets" advising about new books arriving from cataloging, or when books are returned that were on hold, etc. I'm not gaga for Twitter, but in limited doses I suppose it has its uses.

No comments: